Friday, February 3, 2012

Geneva - Still the old cozy city..

Geneva really don't change much. Though we could see a bit or revamp and reconstruct here and there but the main facade of Geneva stays. There is not much change really. I consider Geneva as a vintage, cozy and silent city despite being the home of many nationalities due to it being the hub of many international organizations.  But Geneva is a very expensive city. A super small hotel room is cost RM1000. There are many average standard international restaurants but a decent meal can cost between CHF17 to CHF 20 per meal.  That would be nearly RM 70 to RM100 per dish of nasi beriani for example.  Forget about porche restaurant which I think beyond reach.  Eating at a nice Thai restaurant, a nasi goreng udang cost around RM90 per plate.  The cost of an ikan goreng with thai sauce that weighed half of kg is about RM RM120.  Simple drinks are all above RM15 each.. Geneva being the home of Swiss-made-watches also a disaster in terms of price.  I am so wonder why in the world that it's cheaper to buy Swiss-made watches is KL than here. Unless they offer you 50% discount than forget about purchase it here.  Kind of funny isn't it.  Just for the sake of having something from Geneva I did pick-up few watches on sale, just a bit cheaper compare to KL because it's on sale.  Gift souvenir is another puzzling thing.  Nothing can be purchased below CHF 10 i.e about RM33.  When I'm here in 2007, I still can get fridge magnet for the price of CHF 5, with the conversion rate of 2.7 at that time it is still reasonable.  But now, nothing below CHF 10. I mean to buy a fridge magnet for RM33 is crazy isn't it.. So after I do some random price checking, I decided that there is only one thing worth buying...It'sssss SWISSSSS CHOCOLATE.. Yes it is reasonably cheap for a Swiss chocolate as Swiss chocolate taste superb, its best in the world chocolate, and there are great varieties here in Geneva.  So guys, chocolate will be the souvenir from me...

Last weekend, I spend lazy cold weekend in Geneva. Original plan to go to Rome with hubby dashed as he cannot come because need to send Danny to the new school.  Weekend in Geneva,  shops only open Saturday, and on Sunday all shops closed except for sundry shops and restaurants.  So after attending morning meeting on Saturday, I went to Manor and Bel-Air shopping area for window shop.  As that was the only weekend that I have, I bought all things that I plan to bring home...

And here is Geneva as I have seen it over and over again...

Mini park at the bank of Lake Geneva

Sunny but cold afternoon over the bridge of Lake Geneva, at the distance background is Geneva's water fountain
Beautiful view of Geneva with many bridges crossing the lake
This place is full of people during summer - but winter time is kind of silent
My favorite walking spot, towards the lake of Geneva
Typical classic European architecture is everywhere in Geneva
One of the many beautiful crossings. There is pedestrian walk under the bridge.
This animal just so use and enjoy their time swimming under 0 temperature
One of the many cruise boat for the tourist - only good for first timer. Second and next ride, you'll dozed off the moment the engine starts.
I love these unique trees near the lake..
That was just about things I'm able to capture in Geneva. This time, I don't really have the right company.. In 2007 I have crazy and funny people with me i.e. Andy and Major Mazli.  So all picture taken is without me in it.  And all is snapped using just my E72.  But then it was still fine and fun...

Nevertheless, Geneva, I'm loving it...

No comments: