Saturday, January 22, 2011

My Sister's Keeper

My Sister's Keeper is a movie that just rolled-on HBO.  I have waited for sometime for this touching movie to be aired.  It revolves around a journey of a family with a cancer (or leukemia to be exact) patient.  Movie like this wouldn't reach the malaysian cinema for a reason we know - no demand for this type movie.  Malay movie goers love haunted and slapstick comedy, while english movie goers love action pack and romantic/matinee comedy.  So this kind of movie will not sell in malaysia cinema.  Lucky me, HBO airs it at last.  The movie is loosely adapted from novel of the same title by Judy Picoult.  It's about the survival of the family with leukemia children name Kate.  At the age of 3, Kate was diagnosed with leukemia.  Kate's life can only be prolong with numerous medical procedure that requires a compatible donor for the bio portion.  With little brother Jesse, who is biologically not suitable, Anna then was conceived via IVF and 'designed' to be compatible donor to Kate.  Anna had since undergone all kinds of medical procedure to ensure longevity of Kate.  When the major operation need to be carried to take her kidney for Kate, when Anna is 11, Anna is suing her parents for forcing her to again be the donor.  This time its a do or die situation for Kate as both her kidneys are totally malfunction.  The movie heart-wrenching moment started here - from mother-daughter fight in the court, to Kate's struggling to live, with flashing back and forth of their sweet and sad moment.  Of course, my soppy heart brings tears like a dwelling river of Brisbane.  In the end of the court proceedings it was discovered that Anna do it because she was forced by Kate who thinks its time  for her to go.  With Anna's confession in the final session of dramatic court room proceedings, mom Sara who is just too overprotective, too much cannot let go of Kate suddenly come to her senses. Kate died during sleep hugging mummy who at last let her go.  Indeed it is a touching story... 

Mom Sara and Anna on top, cheerful but ready to go Kate playing bubbles below

This movie deeply touched my heart not just because it is so beautifully crafted with superb performance by Cameron Diaz (Mom Sara) and Abigail Breslin (plays Anna), but because my nephew also was diagnosed with a similar desease.  My nephew Amsyar who is my brother's 6th and last child was dignosed of leukemia just before his second birthday.   Although the storyline is somewhat different then My Sister's Keeper, but I can say that the journey that the whole family have to go through is similar.  Amsyar's mom can called Hospital USM her second home.  There are sacrifices made by the father and other siblings because all the attention goes to Amsyar.  Have to.  No choice.  In general, cancer is like a death sentence with indefinite time frame.  However, leukemia has a good chance of recovery, but the chance of relapse also great and it all depends on the response by leukemia's patients. You just dont know.  How strong can a mom be when watching her boy, day in and day out suffering from side-effect illness due to his weak immune system.  Endurance that she need to go through seeing the terrible side-effect of chemo is un-imaginable - vomitting, extreme diarhea, overshoot of body temperature that required the little body to be stored in a large refrigerator as cold as winter in London. Chemo treatment knows no discrimination - it destroys everything it hits whether good guy or bad guy.  So huge the pain after chemo, it's the pain that I can only imagine. 

Spending time in the cancer's children ward is like living in the death row.  I've been there a few times and the look of the children with cancer in the ward always haunted me days after.  As for my sis, she watch one children go after another.  Being there for more than a year, she lost count of how many have losing the battles. But being a muslim, we have to concede to qada & qadar.  You do not know what's written in the Luh Mahfuz for you.  You only have the slightest idea of what's going to happen to the little boy who carry the illness of blood eating blood that does not know when to stop.  I got her SMS full of sadness and high tense about two weeks ago when Amsyar's best buddy, about his age, return to his Creator.  I can only grieved in silence.  Little Amsyar never understand why his friends go and never return. He never understands why he has to go through all the painful procedure over and over again.  Nor he understands why his fine hair come and go..

As for me, I can only watch and imagining those pains from far.  I can only send Amsyar my prayer everyday so Allah giving him the best.  I can only give my sis, Amsyar's mom, little word of advise to keep the spirit high and keep praying for the best to Allah.  I can only provide minor financial assistance to lift a bit of burden.  Nevertheless, I cannot take away the illness from Amsyar.  Nor the challenging life that those around him have to endure.  The movie of My Sister's Keeper ended in 1 hour 40 minutes.  The movie of real life Amsyar is still rolling on the reel.  And only Allah knows what's the best for this cute korean-look little boy.. Amsyar.. my prayer goes to you.
Amsyar - one week after he was disgnosed with leukemia.  One and half year later, he grew-up to a handsome boy, but with thinning hair and pale look. 

2 comments:

Telipuk Kuala said...

Definitely I will try avoid this movie...hemmm...reading this already bring tears to my eyes...I hate movies that will make me cry...huhuhu...

Rosebud said...

Little litle cry can la..at least can internally wash your eyes...ok what..